Friday, November 13, 2009

Return to Volt in Frederick, MD


I went back to Bryan Voltaggio's restaurant, Volt, in Frederick, MD with some friends. This time, we tried items from his regular a la carte menu.
We were given an amuse bouche of halibut ceviche with baby cilantro.
For my first course, I had the charcuterie plate, which had in-house made venison & pistachio sausage, fennel sausage, head cheese, and mortadella. It also came with in house made pickles and pickled shallots. My friend got the yellowfin tuna wuth yuzu vinaigrette and chili oil- which was so fresh and amazing.
For my second course, I ordered the pork belly on a bed of fresh cannellini beans. I liked that is came with a little pancetta chip.
After 2 courses of pork overload, I decided for my main dish to be the halibut served over squash and parsnip purees and red quinoa. The fish was so nicely prepared, and the chef clearly respected the ingredient, by letting it's flavor stand alone without so many bells and whistles.







My friend ordered the Longnecker farm rabbit, which was the rabbit broken down and prepared four ways. My friend said it was probably one of the best rabbit dishes he had ever had.





We all tried each other's desserts. I ordered the deconstructed banana split. It was a streak of pureed banana with chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream. Best part- the spherical maraschino cherry.






My friends tried the chocolate peanut butter cake and the item called "Textures of Chocolate". The TIGBG gang has reservations for Table 21, his 21 course tasting menu next month. We're certain to post on that.

228 N Market St
Frederick, MD 21701-5335
(301) 696-8658

No comments: