Monday, November 09, 2009

Back to Akosombo in DC

After visiting Akosombo earlier this year, I wanted to make sure I went back to try some of the other dishes they have to offer. In particular, I wanted to try red-red, a traditional Ghanaian dish of stewed black eyed peas or other bean with plantains.
This past weekend, the DC Metropolitan cooking show was a mere 1 1/2 blocks from Akosombo. So, in order to escape the throngs who came to see Paula Deen, Guy Fieri, and Giada, I walked over to Akosombo's inconspicuous building for lunch.
I think the peak time to get to this place is around 2 pm- it's also when all the food is just hitting the steam tables. When I arrived, the front drive was filled with cabs and airport limos.
I finally got to try the red-red. It was worth it. The seasoning in the bean stew was delicious- definitely some scotch bonnet in it. I also got the jollof rice with beef stew and some spinach with egusi.

613 K St NW
(between N 6th St & N 7th St)
Washington, DC 20001
(202) 408-1133

No comments: