Sunday, September 10, 2006

Super Star East Chinese Buffet

So like everywhere else in the US, Princeton (well actually West Windsor) has one of those big box malls with the Wal-Mart and Home Depot and Target etc. And as in most of these places, there's an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. Now lest you think I pooh-pooh a place like this just cause I'm Chinese, I actually love it.

Of course they have crab rangoon and General Tso's chicken, but they also have tons of stuff that clearly are catered to Chinese people like whole fried little fishes, shrimp with heads on, ti pang (roast pork butt), chicken feet, and tripe stew. (Again, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics). Mostly I like going for lunch on weekends, solely for 2 items: the congee with 1000-year-old egg and the sesame sticky rice balls in syrupy soup (tang yuan) for dessert. I think I once ate 3 bowls of the former and 2 bowls of the latter.
Unfortunately we went for dinner tonight, so they didn't have either of my two favorite things, those being breakfasty dim-sum dishes. I'll remember to bring my camera next time I go for lunch. I had to settle for a close second in favorite type of Asian dessert -- dou hwa (silky tofu with honey syrup). Not quite as good as the dou hwa window vendor on Mott Street in Chinatown NYC, but I think part of that appeal is just getting it scooped up steaming hot from a giant wooden bucket and eating it on the street.

Super Star East Buffet, 311 Nassau Park Blvd, Princeton, NJ 08540 (Here's a tip: avoid the sushi. Also another touch that felt just like Asia with all its glorious cutesy cheesiness -- when it's someone's birthday they blast "Happy Birthday" sung by little kids "It's a Small World"-style over the PA system!). Don't know the name or address of the dou hwa window, but just walk south down Mott Street from Canal and keep an eye out for the window on the East side of the street before you get to Pell.

No comments: