Monday, August 23, 2010

Snacking at Churchkey, DC


Recently, my favorite combination of food and drink when going out is charcuterie and good beer. I went to Churchkey in the Logan Circle area of DC a couple weeks ago for such a meal.
First off, I was impressed with Churchkey's impressive draft and beer menu with selections for the casual drinker or the hardcore beer fanatic. On this evening, I decided to try a few Saisons with dinner. I enjoyed the Du Ronke Saison de Dottignies from the cask. It was nice and smooth.
We ordered both a cheese and a charcuterie plate to start. I can't recall all the cheeses we tried, but I know that I did like the Cashel Blue, a creamy Irish cow's milk cheese.
My favorite items on the charcuterie plate were the pig's head and trotter terrine (big surprise there) and the housemade duck liver mousse. We also had mortadella, a calabria sausage (pork, beef, bacon) and cured pork loin.
The appetizer of shrimp corn dogs with tartar sauce was fun to eat. It reminded me of the shrimp dumplings from Chinese dim sum, but with the fried corn bread coating.
We also ordered one of the specials, a house bread platter, which included a jalapeƱo cornbread, pretzel rolls and olive bread. Mmmm... pretzels.
Dessert was their take on the hostess chocolate creme filled cupcake. Not bad at all.

1337 14th St NW
Washington DC
(202) 567-2576

No comments: