Monday, September 12, 2011

Fatty Crab... again

Recently we found ourselves going out in the Meatpacking District, and since I'm rarely in that neighborhood, I wanted to go eat at Fatty Crab.  It was a great summer day, so we sat outside, and Redneckhunter and our friend started off the evening right with some Fatty special shots and chasers:  #1 was the Recession Special: whiskey, spicy pickle back, and PBR; #2 was the Panchito Special: tequila, Malay sangrita, and Tecate with lime and chili-salt.


Then came the snacks:  Steamed pork buns (which were good, but less flavorful than Momofuku's), Fatty sliders (pork and beef burgers, with a nice thick Asian-style pickle, and spicy remoulade), the Fatty dog (xo sausage, pickled chili, pickled radish, cucumber, aioli), and charred corn with chili-sugar-salt (a bit overpriced at $6).  We also ordered my favorite dish, Nasi Lemak (chicken curry, coconut rice, poached egg, and otak which is dried spiced fish). We devoured it before I thought of taking a photo.   It's still my favorite dish - just wonderful comfort food -- and of the snacks, the nice surprise were the yummy sliders.  Another shot and chaser and we were ready for the Meatpacking circus!

Fatty Crab
643 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 352-3590


2 comments:

Little Paper Hen said...

Wow! At first I didn't know if this was Chinese, American, a fusion or something else . . . I don't think I've ever tried Malaysian food before. Sounds adventurous and indeed fatty!

fougoo said...

Well it really is fusion -- sliders, hot dogs, etc. The chef is American - Zak Pelaccio. Though I think Nasi Lemak is a pretty traditional dish.