Sunday, August 12, 2007

Cooking more farm share produce

Boy, I thought we were getting a lot of produce a few weeks ago from our farm share... it just keeps getting more and more each week.

After getting 2 lbs of squash per week for about 3 weeks, drastic measures were called for. I found this recipe for squash pancakes in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. It was basically like a squash latke instead of potato. I grated several pounds of yellow squash and zucchini, mixed it with chopped onion, egg, breadcrumbs, flour, and parmesan cheese; formed it into patties, dredged them in flour and pan-fried them. They were good - less starchy than potato pancakes. Though if I make them again, I'm going to squeeze the liquid out of my grated squash before continuing -- my mixture was pretty wet and hard to work with...

I was quite proud of this week's inspired notion to make moussaka. One pan of moussaka and I managed to use up 1 regular eggplant, 3 Chinese eggplants, 5 potatoes, 5 small tomatoes, and 1/2 lb of onions, 1/2 head of garlic.


I oven roasted the eggplant and potatoes, just drizzled with a little olive oil. The garlic, onions and tomatoes were sauteed with ground lamb, seasoned with oregano, nutmeg and cinnamon. Then everything was layered in a baking pan, and topped with a low-fat bechamel that I got from epicurious.com.

To give you an idea of the haul we got this week, that still leaves me with 2 pounds of heirloom tomatoes, 1 1/2 pints of cherry tomatoes, 1 1/2 pounds of regular tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, 1 head of garlic, 1 stalk of basil, 1/2 pound of arugula, 3 bell peppers and more friggin' squash!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

there is always too much squash ~ it's a weed masquerading as vegetable ~ perhaps a solution to your farm bounty would be to invite all of your friends over to cook & eat