Friday, October 09, 2009

Num Pang Sandwich Shop, NYC

I love Kampuchea in the Lower East Side, so I've been trying to get to their sister store Num Pang Sandwich Shop. On our last shopping day, armed with a buy-one-get-one-sandwich-1/2-price coupon from Daily Candy, petiteseour and I finally made it there.

I ordered the pork belly along with a corn on the cob with chili mayo, and she ordered mackerel with watermelon juice. Both sandwiches come dressed with cilantro, carrots, cucumber, pickled radishes, and chili mayo - they make a point of stating there can be no substitutions. Petiteseour thought her fish was cooked really well, and loved the watermelon juice, though she was scraping off the overabundance of chili mayo. I felt the same way about the mayo - I'm not against it, but the overreliance on it got to me. Especially when you're already dealing with fatty pork. I actually found it too fatty - if you're a regular reader of the blog, you'll understand how shocking this is!

And my corn, which I failed to take a picture of (hands covered in mayo) - I had a problem with that as well. We ate at the store, not takeout, yet, my corn came wrapped in foil, so just a gloppy mess upon opening.

One good point - the bread was awesome - crusty, chewy, all that you'd want in good French bread. But I've had much better banh mi (in Vegas and Honolulu - where the Asians represent!). Once again, New York is just not the place for Vietnamese, it seems.


Num Pang Sandwich Shop
21 E 12th St
New York, NY 10003-4403
(212) 255-3271

1 comment:

Little Paper Hen said...

Go Honolulu! Yes, we have awesome Vietnamese cafes where these sandwiches and Vietnamese coffee (French-drip style with condensed milk) are dirt cheap. Yum! You are making me hungry for one! Maybe tomorrow's lunch -)