Monday, February 18, 2008

Leonard's Malasadas, Hawaii

I'm always drawn to food trucks. So when we spotted this truck in the parking lot of the Pearl City mall in Oahu, Hawaii it was like a magnetic pull.

Leonard Jr's Hot Malasadas -- well, I didn't know what they were, but I wanted to try one!

Turns out malasadas are like donuts without holes. Fresh from the fryer they were eggy, buttery heaven in your mouth. We got 2 to try - one cinnamon sugar, one filled with custard.


They were so good, we had to find out where to get them in Honolulu where we were staying. Luckily my friend pointed us to the original Leonard's Bakery in town. It became a nightly stop -- the malasadas are always hot and fresh! We were so enamored of our original choices -- cinnamon sugar (my favorite) and custard (redneckhunter's favorite) -- that we didn't even try the other varieties, chocolate-filled, haupia-filled, etc.

I've been searching around for somewhere in the Jersey-area to feed the craving, but so far sadly Massachusetts seems like our closest option...

Leonard's Bakery
933 Kapahulu Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 737-5591

5 comments:

BrookLEn said...

those look amazing. I'll need a good reason to visit Hawaii now... like a wedding??

ty and megs said...

They sell malasadas in Massachusetts!? Where?

Sorry to be a random commenter. I live in MA, but am originally from Hawaii. I was just doing a google search for a malasada recipe (major craving right now) and stumbled across you blog.

I'm so excited!!

fougoo said...

I don't know exact places, but this is what I've read:

http://www.tripatlas.com/Malasada

http://www.newenglandbites.com/2008/08/great-feast-of-holy-ghost-of-new.html

fougoo said...

According to Chowhounders:

Provincetown Portuguese Bakery, on Commercial Street

Makes me want to road trip right now...

Anonymous said...

I'm in Honolulu right now looking for Leonard's! I did a seach and found your blog. On are way thanks to your info! We'll endulge in a donut for you!