Sunday, April 13, 2008

Born Restaurant, Vienna, VA

Today was Songkran, the Thai New Year, and we went to Born Restaurant in Vienna, VA for lunch.
For starters we got the Chicken Sate which came with a nice peanut-lemon-basil sauce. We also got the Ginger Chicken Dumplings, and I had a nice cup of Tom Yum Goong.





For an entree, I got the Olive and Basil Duck. This was delicious. It was served on top of a Malaysian Roti bread, and the duck had a crispy exterior to it that went well with the salty and spicy basil sauce.







One of my group got the Soft Shell Crab special which was deep fried and was smothered in a sweet and spicy sauce.









My other friend got the Pad Thai which, while it came with chicken, had secret bits of pork that gave it a nice flavor.










To commemorate the Thai New Year, the Thai Embassy specially brought over fruit from Thailand to be served in several restaurants in the area, and Born was one of them.
For dessert we we served Rambutans, Longans, and Mangosteens.
The rambutans were like lychees with a spikey skin, but not as sweet. The Longans or "dragon eyes" were smaller like grapes.
I was most looking forward to trying the Mangosteens, and they were fantastic. They looked like bulbs of garlic, but wow- the flavor was like a cross of an orange and a lychee. I hope they start selling these in stores in the US soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shhh - Born is one of my secret Thai restaurants.

The staff is very friendly and accommadating and they can flavor your food to your particular tastes if you request. Some days I like extra spicey - no problem! While other days, not so much.

It's getting busier and busier but I hope it doesn't affect the homey flavor & friendliness of the restaurant as it is now.