Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Kin Shop, NYC


For our last girls day, petiteseour had made reservations to eat at Kin Shop, Top Chef winner Harold Dieterle's new Thai restaurant. Then she unfortunately didn't feel well when dinnertime rolled around...

So it was up to me to try as much as I could without overdoing it. I started with the fried oyster and crispy pork salad. The oysters were huge, fat, and juicy, the pork indeed crispy, and the sauce was bright, acidic, just perfect with the fatty meats. Instead of greens for the salad, it was celery, which I usually don't like raw, but it worked in this dish.

The most that petiteseour could stomach was sauteed aquatic greens and jasmine rice. Excellent rice - which is not an easy feat.

Then my main course was off the list of specials -- Chiang Mai sausage and duck egg over congee with shallots and basil. The sausage was fragrant - a very different flavor than I was expecting - not quite Asian, not quite European... My main problem with this dish was that the egg was almost raw. I like my yolks runny, but my whites - not so much... I'm not sure if it was meant to be this way, but more than just being put off a little by the sliminess, I also think it made the congee cool down faster.

Still, I think it's worth a return trip with more people to try some of the housemade curries, noodles, etc. Oh, and we did see Harold there...

Kin Shop
469 6th Avenue
New York, NY 10011
(212) 675-4295

No comments: