Sunday, June 03, 2007

Korean BBQ at Manpuku, Tokyo


One rainy afternoon in Tokyo, I went with my cousins to a restaurant in Jiyugaoka, Tokyo called Manpuku. It served a Japanese style of Korean BBQ called Yakiniku, and the restaurant served Saga beef, a beef which ranks in quality with Kobe beef.
We did get the usual marinated beef or "robu" which is similar to Korean "bulgogi", but the restaurant also specialized in a "salted short rib" or shio-karubi" which consisted of salt and onions on one side of the meat. Instead of flipping the meat on the grill, you had to leave the non covered side on the grill and grill one side a little more so the top is still pink. The beef was pretty amazing.
We also had the "negitan shio" or salted beef tongue as well as scallion fried rice with the meal. Researching for this post, I found out that this restaurant has a branch in LA. Next time I'm in Hollywood, I'm there!

No comments: