Monday, June 18, 2007

Havana Alma de Cuba, NYC

My friend and I have a set routine whenever I come up to the city to see her, which involves (mostly) window shopping and dining in her old neighborhood, the West Village. This time we opted for lunch at Havana Alma de Cuba. A really cute airy place, with vibrant murals on the wall and a nice garden in back. Above is our starter Tostones Rellenos, fried plantains with shrimp fricassee. The saffron-infused sauce was so good we protected it from the hands of eager busboys and asked for bread with which to sop up every drop.

Then we shared the Echon Asado al Estilo "La Floridita" -- roasted suckling pig served with cassava and fresh mojo. It was way more than enough for 2 people -- if you can believe it the photo above was taken at the end of the meal before I wrapped it up to take home to redneckhunter, a big fan of pig... The pork was absolutely tender, the cassava not too starchy, and the rice and beans were perfect.

Then, whenever I can, I have to order tres leches cake because I can't think of a single place near Princeton where I can get it. Not-too-sweet whipped cream frosting, moist cake made deliciously wet by the milk sauce, and the mango and strawberry sauces just cutting all the sweetness with a little tang. I was muy feliz!
Havana Alma de Cuba
92 Christopher Street, NYC
(212) 242-3800

No comments: