Sunday, February 04, 2007

Hot Breads, Plainsboro, NJ


New Jersey's strip malls are just rife with potential ethnic food treasures. You just never know, so you should just try everything and anything. So when the oddly named Hot Breads popped up next to the Asian Food Market in the Princeton Meadows Shopping Center, I had to check it out. It's a European-style South Asian bakery.

Now I love Euro-style Japanese and Taiwanese bakeries for all the wonderful hybrid things they come up with -- like baked buns filled with char siu (roast pork) or red bean paste, swiss cake rolls with green tea whipped cream or chestnut paste, yellow cake topped with whipped cream and tropical fruits -- that kind of thing. The Asians are not known for their prowess in either breads or desserts, so it's all for the best that they adopt European techniques. So this was basically the same thing with South Asian fusion. We tried a variety of buns -- curry chicken, keema, and aloo (potato, pictured above). I thought the curry chicken was a little dry, but both the keema and aloo were very tasty. Haven't tried any of the sweet treats yet, but will report back later...

Hot Breads
660 Plainsboro Rd
Plainsboro, NJ 08536
(609)799-2737

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, you won't report back later. Hot Breads burnt down taking a couple other stores with it.

Cooking Vegan With Soul said...

Yes, what an incredible fire.... I'm so depressed about that. Whenever I want an Indian snack, (as opposed to an Indian meal,) I'm instantly thrust into mourning. On top of that, the cupcakes were delicious and fresh. I was never a cupcake person, but thanks to Hot Breads, I developed a pinning for them. Now that they've burned down, I don't know what to do with my new found desire. Store brought cupcakes, and most other bakery cupcakes, have never been acceptable to me.

Faith

fougoo said...

yeah, really sad. does anyone know whether there are plans to rebuild that location?

there is another hot breads up on Route 27 in Edison, but it was great to have one so close to princeton!

Anonymous said...

There is a Hot Breads
At 582 Lawrenceville Square BLVD S0 Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
Tel: 609-586-4400.

And another one at Hot Breads 3201 Route 27 Franklin Park, NJ 08823 Tel:732-940-0700 ...

Anonymous said...

stay away from the one in lawrenceville. once the new owners took over the service and quality is pathetic. hows this for freshly baked rolls every morning. I picked up a pack today and it was all moldy. that cannot happen for the same day baked bread!

Anonymous said...

well it opened again in plainsboro :)

buy Kamagra said...

A friend of mine who lives in New Jersey says that tje food is delicious. You can go everywhere and find dishes from different cultures. I want to go and see how much I can eat.

yuppicide said...

I believe the Lawrenceville one is closed. The phone doesn't answer. Their food is horrible anyway. Stale, not fresh, not even baked the same day. I wouldn't go to any Hot breads.

yuppicide said...

By the way they rebuilt the one in Plainsboro.