Monday, October 02, 2006

Pho in Chinatown Philly

My cellphone photos suck, but this place has wonderful pho and is so cheap you won't believe it. First off the pho comes in two sizes -- Large for $4.99 and Extra Large (which could feed a family of 4) for $6.50. I got mine with beef and tendon. N. got his with beef and "frank brisket." Paper thin slices of rare beef float on top of the flavorful broth (I always think I catch a hint of cinnamon). The noodles soak up all of the rich flavor. My bowl was loaded with tendon cooked so tender it just melts in your mouth. I think the texture of tendon appeals to me in the same way that soft-boiled egg yolk or avocado does -- it's a dense rich softness. I don't know what Xe Lua means in Vietnamese, but the Chinese name of this place is Huo Ce Tou which means Train Engine -- so I always find the place by the neon sign.

Pho Xe Lua Viet Thai Restaurant
907 Race St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 627-8883

No comments: