Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Maple Leaf in Banff, Canada

1000yregg and I went up to our family get-together in Alberta, Canada. (So I'll try not to duplicate posts with him.) One of our big dinners out with the clan was at the Maple Leaf in Banff.











Starters included my cousin's husband's artfully presented scallop and shrimp ceviche with champagne sorbet. My dungeness crab gazpacho was spiked with gin and chili oil -- I loved it -- just brought a nice tangy bite. And my boyfriend's a big believer all around in cooking with liquor.

Then my cousin's husband (who's not a big meat eater) went on to wild Atlantic salmon, and I had lamb shank served with a ragout of root vegetables and gnocchi. While it was good, to be honest it didn't compare with the falling-off-the-bone succulent lamb shank that used to be made at my beloved Jersey dive ethnic Aladdin's Palace. I preferred 1000yregg's bacon-wrapped elk filet, but I'll let him tell you about it himself.

No comments: