Friday, May 24, 2013

House of William and Merry, Hockessin, DE


We took my mom out for Mother's Day to the House of William and Merry in Hockessin. I've always liked going out to Hockessin. Not that Newark, DE is a city or anything, but Hockessin always felt like going to "the country."

For years our go-to place in Hockessin was The Back Burner, so it was nice to notice William and Merry just down the street the last time we were there. While I still like the old standbys of pumpkin-mushroom soup, classics like the iceberg wedge or chicken salad at the Back Burner, I have to say I think W&M is more inventive.

My duck confit sandwich was the best dish we ordered, I think. The duck was melt-in-your-mouth-falling-apart good, with saga blue cheese, and super yummy fig jam -- served on a brioche bun, cut with a hole on top to let the poached egg show (growing up we called this "dong dong dan" - hole hole egg). 
 I already knew Redneckhunter would order the biscuits and gravy.  W&M's was less filthy than the Southern standard, and interesting to add the melted Cheddar cheese.

 
My dad got the Bacon and Gouda crepe with a "crispy poached egg."  This was an interesting take on a Scotch egg.  My mom's Smoked Salmon Crepe was made with the same delicious fig jam, as well as brie and capers.

We all shared a side of house made scrapple too.  It was definitely the clean plate club that day at brunch -- so much we didn't have room for dessert.  With their emphasis on local ingredients, I wasn't surprised that they served Woodside Creamery ice cream (just a few minutes down Valley Road).

My parents said they wanted to go back to try dinner at William and Merry.  I think we've found a second go-to place.

The House of William and Merry
1336 Old Lancaster Pike, Hockessin DE 19707
302-234-2255





No comments: